Worklog - The Stinger is also not a weapon (June 19 2010)
What is the stinger? In my case, this it is the mechanism that places the straw inside the glass! The straw separator mechanism (as described in the previous page) will separate a straw from the straw tank, while the stinger will rapidly accelerate the straw so that it will penetrate the coffee foam and the coffee itself. Because the stinger is fixed right under the straw separator, they could be managed as one complete group.
So, first for the stinger base:
These are the parts for the base. A U aluminum profile, a piece of plexi glass and some spacers and screws
I made two grooves to sink the screws into the 8mm plexi-glass, and using the spacers i fixed it onto the U aluminum profile
Then i took a 12mm plastic tube and with the dremel i opened a hatch
For the stinger, i wanted a powerful motor. Therefore i used a 12V DC motor with high RPM, which i had to mod the sprocket....
This is the motor that i am about to use to launch the straws
I put some hotmelt glue around the motor's pulley. I wanted to increase the friction and diameter of the pulley
Then, with the dremel, i made the pulley completely cylindrical. The external surface has also grooves (from the dremel cutter)!
It was time to put the motor and the barrel onto the base:
For the barrel, I made a V with an aluminum piece, and drilled two holes
For the motor, i had a straight aluminum piece with holes
I used these pieces to screw the barrel and the motor onto the base
The motor pulley will push the straw to accelerate in the barrel.
What's left? Oh yes, i need to fix the stinger onto the straw separator.
I drilled 2 holes onto the U aluminum profile of the stinger. I also cut a straight aluminum piece that i drilled the exact same holes on it. I will use this piece as a washer
Then i placed the stinger onto the straw separator and drilled the same holes.
I used long M4 screws to screw the stinger onto the straw separator. I used the straight aluminum piece to fix the screws on the inner perimeter of the separator tube
This is a photo taken inside the separator tube. This is how the screws are fixed inside.
The sensors failed me...
Everything was ready and i could not wait to run the first complete test run! But then i realized of the hard truth... The LED-Photoresistor pair sensors did not work correct. The ambient light had a great effect on them. Although i was aware of it during design time, i did not expect such a great interference. Even small light changes would alter the sensor readings. Therefore, i went down to the design-desk again. I had to re-design the sensors to avoid external interferences. Here are the results:
This is a circuit that i published some days ago. I made this circuit to solve this problem. Testing this circuit, i discovered that it is extremely accurate! More than i will ever need of. So, i had to change the LED-photoresistor pairs with IR LED pairs:
First the IR emitting LEDs. they are connected in series. I used hot-melt to put them in position.
Then the first IR receiver diode. this is for sensing the straws. I fixed it opposite the IR LED also with hotmelt glue
Finally, the revolver alignment sensor. Fir this, i had to widen the hole a little bit, for i had an idea concerning the LED base.
This piece is a motherboard base screw from my old PC. I will use it as a base for my IR diode
With hotmelt glue, i fixed the diode onto this piece
And i put it inside the slot. I used again hotmelt glue to secure to position.
So, the straw group is now completely ready! I run several tests with full success! Time to go to the next groups: The coffee and sugar dispensers!
@Alex In Greece during the Ancient times there was this saying: "Oyden monimoteron ek toy prosorinoy" which means that "nothing is more permanent than the temporary".
But now that you said that again, i think i should restart this project, shouldn't I? Hopefully within this year.
Hi you have a nice coffee Instant Cold Coffee Machine but you wanted to use a fridge for cold water but no water cooler that you use waron also in coffee automaaten is where you can get I know old water out of if not the name but it can look for you we have that built-in devices greetings alex
Hello George. Regarding the elements, these are hardware wiring to indicate wire connections between the modules. The orange boxes indicate wires coming from the output module (Digital Output Module - DOM), and the green indicate wires going to the Digital Input Modules. Notice that for example, from module "Rotary table", 4 wires comes out, then 2 of them arrive from the DOM and 2 goes to the CPU.
As far as the diode is concerned, this is only for polarity protection. It is the same as the D2. But you are right, It is not necessary and i may not put it after all.
I think your architecture diagram (first figure) is slightly confusing, because it seems to include elements of code (the elements above the CPU) with hardware elements. Ideally, you would have a system-level block diagram detailing your hardware and a separate functional block diagram to describe your code. If I'm misreading your architecture diagram, feel free to ignore this.
Secondly, looking at your reset circuitry, I see you have a 1N4148 diode between your microcontroller pin and your ICSP header (pin 1). I'm fairly certain this diode is not necessary, so you may want to double check that.
Frappé has become very popular here in the States. The difference is we use fresh coffee grounds to make coffee then we chill the hot coffee. But we tend to make more fresh coffee here while Europeans tend to make more instant coffee.
To serve we pour some in a glass and add chipped ice.
We also tend to add flavors to our frappé in the States. We can't leave a good thing alone - we have to tinker with it to make it more sellable.