Home     Contact     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science     RSS     Terms of services     Privacy policy  

Home     Forum     Projects     Experiments     Circuits     Theory     BLOG     PIC Tutorials     Time for Science   

Author Topic: Direction of rotating wheel  (Read 9811 times)

colombo

Direction of rotating wheel
« on: September 15, 2008, 21:48:30 PM »
I like your forum because of the range of subjects you have! But it is still small. You need some mo ppl to come.

Now the reason for my post. I have a wheel that is moved left wise or right wise. I do not know how it turns. Is there an easy way to see how this wheel is turning? This wheel is not connected to a motor or something.

Ok ok here is the idea. I want to know if:
   1. The door is open
   2. The door is closed
   3. The door is opening
   4. The door is closing

And the wheel is attached to the door. So, by moving the door, the wheel is turning to a direction. Not you got my point.

col
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 19:12:59 PM by kam »

serafino

Re: Direction of rotating wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 22:05:28 PM »
you can use one grammic potensiometer , two limits switches , and one PLC with analog input.
This is my first thought. :)

colombo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 22:12:53 PM »
MY MAN!!!

In 20 minutes i got an answer! Boy you are quick here.

What is this grammic potensiometer? What is this PLS and what is this analog input? The limit switched need no explain, i know them  ;D

I would like something easy, like homemade, not something for a super professor...

serafino

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 22:18:54 PM »
Ok , if you know the limits switches you can connect them with an electric bell.
And when the door is opening or closing , hang a classic bell hear it when the door is opening ;D ;

colombo

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 22:21:35 PM »
Ok , if you know the limits switches you can connect them with an electric bell.
And when the door is opening or closing , hang a classic bell hear it when the door is opening ;D ;

This is how you call the bell? PLS?  :P

Any other idea? Not for professor, not for morans. Something between those two, and maybe closer to the secconds...

Mercury

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
There are really cheap rotary encoders that will pulse one output while CW rotation and another output while CCW rotation. You can attach one of these to the wheel. But you should consider also the speed of rotation. I really do not know the limits of speed but it is not for very fast rotations. You should use a rather big wheel to have less rotating speed (angular speed).

These rotary encoders (as they are called) are used also on some monitors or cd players. There is a rotating knot that may rotate CW or CCW infinate. For example, some CD players have this knot to increase or dexrease the volume. While you rotate it you feel this "click". You may rotate it clockwise for example as much as you want. I hope you understand what i am talking about. This will cost no more as a couple of bucks.

d_click

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 22:07:47 PM »
There are really cheap rotary encoders that will pulse one output while CW rotation and another output while CCW rotation. You can attach one of these to the wheel. But you should consider also the speed of rotation. I really do not know the limits of speed but it is not for very fast rotations. You should use a rather big wheel to have less rotating speed (angular speed).

These rotary encoders (as they are called) are used also on some monitors or cd players. There is a rotating knot that may rotate CW or CCW infinate. For example, some CD players have this knot to increase or dexrease the volume. While you rotate it you feel this "click". You may rotate it clockwise for example as much as you want. I hope you understand what i am talking about. This will cost no more as a couple of bucks.

I know them! Where can i find one? For a different project

CO2

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 22:24:01 PM »
A potentiometer would help you? If increasing then the door is opening, if decreasing then closing. You may have a lamp or dimmer at the potentiometer and according to the brightness of the lamp you may know the position of the door.

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 00:26:15 AM »
2 or 4 proximity switches and 4 leds.

colombo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 19:52:59 PM »

And what am i supposed to do with these 6 or 8 things?

spic0m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 20:28:28 PM »
You have a wheel, you put "marks" on the wheel and above the marks the proximity switches. Door open, you get 1 led, still opening you get 2, in reverse direction you get the other 2 light.

colombo

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:17:58 AM »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Adrawing or something more to understand please

Supernova

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 23:31:36 PM »
You have a wheel, you put "marks" on the wheel and above the marks the proximity switches. Door open, you get 1 led, still opening you get 2, in reverse direction you get the other 2 light.

I undertsnd that 2 proximity switches will be for "open" and "close" state. But with the other 2 how can you tell if it opens or closes?

kam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 23:23:20 PM »
You need to have almost stable open/close speed of the door to achieve this. Do you have? I mean, is it an automatic door?

Supernova

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 23:16:22 PM »

I undertsnd that 2 proximity switches will be for "open" and "close" state. But with the other 2 how can you tell if it opens or closes?